Behind the Mike features interviews with radio personalities, technicians, engineers, producers, sound effect artists, dialect actors, musicians, theme-music writers, announcers, imitators, even animal imitators! The show is hosted by radio great Graham McNamee, also heard as sports announcer, radio newscaster, on Ed Wynn's show and Rudy Vallee's program.
In Behind the Mike, listen to the answers of questions from listeners about radio production such as:
- What's the difference between a recording and a transcription?
- How do networks know how many people are listening to a program?
- Who was the first ventriloquist on the air?
- How long do actors rehearse radio shows?
- Are there any female directors in radio?
Well edited and entertaining, Behind the Mike is a fascinating and informative old time radio show and a must for all radio fans. In each episode, even the seasoned old time radio listeners will learn new aspects about the multifaceted world behind the microphone of a radio production.
Also see: Recollections at 30.